Friday, March 6, 2009

Milk Man!

Remember the days when milk was delivered by the milk man (along with other things,don't worry, I'm sure the guy you call "dad" is your biological father)? I don't either. Milk was delivered to my house by one of my parents, who got it from the grocery store.

But, apparently this was common back then. So I managed to scrounge up a spattering of milk delivery related items.


First up, some bottles. Top is a smaller half pint  bottle, typically used for cream above). The next bottle is the more common milk bottle, think it's a quart (below).

Next up is the insulated aluminum box that the milk was delivered to. It sat on the porch, right beside your unemployed uncle most days. This one has had a paint job. Apparently some were, and some weren't. And there were two or three sizes, this is a smaller one but bigger ones could hold several quart bottles or more. Did you have to rent them from the company or did they just drop one off when you started ordering?



Finally, probably the rarest of the milk items I possess. A milk truck license tag from 1929 (below). Everyone needs one of these hanging over the mantle. If I had a period delivery vehicle for it don't think I wouldn't get the DMV to register this tag, and don't think I wouldn't be driving it in the Bahama Christmas parade.


If for whatever reason you really like these kinds of things, know that milk bottles and especially caps and the such are very collectible. Check out one of the biggest collectors organizations: http://milkbottlecollectors.com/.


Also know that if you are after area correct stuff, try to find some Durham Dairy, Long Meadow Farms (I think it was Long Meadow Dairy), and Lakewood Dairy stuff. Some are relatively easy to find, and some are not. There are several more tat I know of, including older City Dairy bottles, and Pansy/ JS Latta bottles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment